Monday, January 26, 2009

Feta Tomato-Basil Fish

Fish, to taste right, must swim three times - in water, in butter, and in wine. ~Polish Proverb

Let me tell you about my relationship with fish. If its not in one of three situations, I'm not going near it.

1. Swimming around in a fishbowl all cute like. I wanna hold it, play with it and call it George.
2. Fried catfish with vinegar and hush puppies on the side.
3. Fake crab (really white fish) on top of the best dish of food my father ever put together (I'll share that recipe someday.)

So you'll be shocked to hear I made, ate and LOVED a fish dish last week. It was so yum we fought over the last piece. No seriously. Maybe I shouldn't hype it all up like that because fish is a personal acquired taste but it really was lovely. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

Feta Tomato-Basil Fish
(found in Taste Of Home's Low-Carb Recipes cookbook as Feta Tomato-Basil Fish)

1lb walleye, bass or whitefish fillets (we used the vacuum sealed fish from Walmart. 4 in a package of 1lb. Easy peasy.)
1/3 cup chopped onoin
1 garlic clove, mince
2 tsp olive oil
1 can (14 oz.) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil
4 oz crumbled feta cheese

In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomaotoes and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, broil fish 4-6 inches from the heat for 5-6 mins. Top eat fillet with tomato mixture and feta cheese. Broil 5-7 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

I served this with a side of squash cooked in a little olive oil, season all and wheat germ. Oh, and a salad. Can't go wrong with this meal!


Feta Tomato Fish on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!