Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Crockpot Peach Cobbler

I was commenting on Facebook that I had gotten a great deal on peaches and was trying to figure out what to do with them. I've been wanting some sort of cobbler and thought this to be the perfect time to try it out. I also needed to make it a bit healthier since I'm trying to BE healthier so I modified the recipe I threw together by adding in Splenda instead of sugar and whole wheat flour instead of white. Splenda could also be put in place of the brown sugar if you choose, although I like the taste of brown sugar so decided to leave it.

My friend, Marj asked if there was a way to make Peach Cobbler in the crock pot. I had not thought of this! I immediately modified the recipe further to add water to the topping to combat the longer time of cooking. I hope you enjoy!


Crockpot Peach Cobbler

FILLING:
8 peaches (or about 2 lbs)
1-2 tsps nutmeg
1 Tbsp flour (or cornstarch)
1 1/2-2 Tbsp lemon juice
5-6Tbsp splenda
opt: ½ cup blueberries or other fruit

TOPPING:
¾ cup oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2-1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 - ½ cup butter
1/3 cup water (or milk)
opt: ½ tsp cinnamon
opt: sugar or born sugar for sprinkling on top

Plug in your crock pot and set on low.

Filling:
Take your washed peaches and cut in small slices into the crock pot. I left the peels on for this reason (found here) "In the peel of a very ripe peach, at least 10 enigmatic elements exist which activate some substances which destroy the fat layers, this is why peach diets are effective." Add the nutmeg, flour, lemon and splenda and stir a bit in the bottom of the pot. You can always add berries or other fruits at this time.

Topping:
Mix all ingredients. It will make a thick mix. Spread it over the peach mixture in the bottom of the crock pot, sprinkle sugar or brown sugar on top and put on the lid. (Optionally, if you would like more of a crumble, leave out or use less water/milk.)

Bake on low for 3-5 hours. Topping will be moist and slightly squishy. Serve with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream. So yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!