Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spicy Salmon Tacos w/Citrus Slaw


Last year in April I ran off on a cruise with my mother & a friend through the Caribbean. Our last stop was in Cozumel, Mexico. We rented a car for the day and drove around the whole little island. Before we hopped back on the big boat we stopped at a little beach side cafe, run by 2 people. We ordered the best nachos and fresh fish tacos I've ever had. Okay, they were my first fish tacos if you don't count those fried things you get at a Long John Silvers or somewhere. Anyway, last night I was thinking about those tacos as I was making normal boring salmon patties (you know, the frozen ones from Costco.) I wanted fish tacos!


What follows is a recipe I came up with after surfing the net and not finding what I wanted. It's more of a throw together meal so you'll have to guess at measurements. Just add to taste. I used salmon although no doubt in Cozumel they used local fish. I can't wait to make these again! I would make them with a bit more heat. But ohhh, do they transport me back to the little shack on the side of the road with the waves crashing a few feet away as we ate. I can almost smell the sea air...

Mine!

Ingredients:
Salmon patties (frozen from Costco, no breading) (could use fresh salmon)
La Tiara's corn taco shells (nice and thin!)
lime juice
cayenne pepper
broccoli slaw (premade in baggies, or use broccoli, cabbage and carrots julienned)
red wine vinegar
olive oil (any oil will do)
1/2-1 tsp splenda or sugar
1 clementine orange (or small orange)
1-2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced (seeds removed, retain a few for heat)
1-2 tsps ranch dressing (this is what I used only because I was out of mayo)
salt/pepper to taste

Instructions:
1 - Cook your salmon patties in olive oil according to instructions, careful not to dry out the patties/fresh fish.
2 - While cooking, squeeze a good amount of lime over each side of the patties. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
3 - In a medium bowl, dump 2 cups of broccoli slaw. Pour vinegar, a bit of olive oil over the slaw. I can't give you measurements of exactly what I did. I'm thinking several tsps. Add splenda/sugar.
4 - Cut and peel your orange, removing the orange from the pith and squeezing some of the orange pieces for their juice.
5 - Finely dice the jalapeno peppers, removing most the seeds, retaining a few for heat. 
6 -Add a sprinkling of cayenne to the slaw, to taste. 
7 - Add a couple tsps of ranch dressing or mayo. Not to make it like a cole slaw, but to just barely give it a creaminess. Stir and set aside slaw.
8 - Set up your taco shells on a plate and cut up the salmon patties in the pan. I cut in strips.
9 - Add the salmon to the shells, spoon on some slaw and enjoy!

* Optional. I think a bit of avocado would be delicious with this taco. Just put a few diced pieces in with the slaw. Another option is adding fresh diced tomatoes to the slaw. I think we had tomatoes in the ones by the beach (as seen in the picture above.) *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!