Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bean Cheese Burritos & Mango Salsa

I don't have a problem with vegetarians, my daughter is one. However, I don't think I could be one. I would hate to give up steak. It's my favorite meat. Seconded closely by pulled pork. Can't go wrong there. But in a nod to my daughter's taste, we had a night last week of vegetarian foods. And we really enjoyed it all! We were quite full as well. See what you think.

Bean and Cheese Burritos
(from Favorite Brand Name Recipes Magazine Vegetarian Meals cookbook)

1 med poblano chili
8 flour tortillas (we used lo-carb wheat tortillas)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped red onions
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
salt & pepper
1 cup (4 oz) farmers cheese

1 - Prepare tomato-mango salsa & refrigerate (see below.)
2 - Chop poblano chili (removing seeds), rinse and pat dry.
3 - Warm tortillas in foil in a 350 degree oven until warm (about 10 minutes.)
4 - Heat oil in large skiller over medium heat. Add onions and poblano, cook 5 minutes until tender. Stir in chili powder & cumin, cook 1 minute.
5 - Reduce heat to low. Add beans, green chilies and lime juice. Cook 2-3 minutes until heated through. Season w/salt & pepper.
6 - Wish a masher or wooden spoon, mash up 1/4 of the bean mixture.
7 - Spoon into tortillas and top with cheese. Roll up tortilla and top with Salsa.

Tomato-Mango Salsa

1 large tomato (or 1/2 can of diced tomatoes)
1 small mango (make SURE its ripe. Ask me how I know this? ha)
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno pepper (seeded, chopped)
2 Tbsp lime juice

1 - Chop & de-seed the tomato.
2 - To cut up mango, hold at stem, cut off the sides, remove peel and chop into chunks.
3 - Combine all ingredients into a bowl and refrigerate up to 2 hours.


Quick Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!