Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Black Bean & Homemade Polenta Pie

We have a vegetarian in our house. So I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to get healthy into her. You'd think, being something that sounds like vegetables, she'd be eating really healthy. But mostly she is a carbetarian. I'm trying to change that.

I found a great book at the library, 100 Best Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles. Wonderful book with easy recipes. Things even I will make, the one who doesn't like to cook. A couple weeks ago we tried the Black Bean Polenta Pie with homemade Polenta. It rec'd rave reviews so I thought I'd record the recipes here so I can find them.

Homemade Polenta

Better be ready with your strong arm. Stirring is involved.
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1 Tbsp butter or margarine

1 - Stir together the water, polenta and salt until there are no lumps.
2 - Bring to a boil over medium=high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring constantly until the polenta leaves a clean path when you scrape the bottom of the pan. 20-30 minutes.
3 - Add the butter or margaine and stir until melted.
4 - Serve immediately or place in loaf pan to cool for slicing.

Black Bean Polenta Pie

*very important* Have your buttered pie pan ready for when the polenta is finished cooking. Then spread the hot thick liquid polenta into the pie pan, spreading up on the sides to form a crust of sorts. Work fast as it starts to solidify quickly.

2 1/2 cups polenta
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion (I cut this down a bit as we're not onion fans)
1 cup chopped geen bell peppers
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
1 1/2 cups cooked/drained black beans
1 cup corn kernels, drained
1 4-oz can chopped chiles, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divide into 1 cup & 1/2 cup)
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2 - In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
3 - Add tomatoes; cook until most of liquid is evaporated.
4 - Stir in beans, corn and chiles.
5 - Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese.
6 - In a small bowl, beat the egg and sour cream. Add to the bean mixture and stir until combined.
7 - Spoon mixture into the polenta shell and top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake 35 minutes or until bean mixture has heated through and cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

P.S. I really need to work on my food photography so I have pictures of these recipes sometimes. I will do that.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds insanely good! I've never made polenta before...I am definitely putting this on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!