Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple Berry Crisp


Ohh sweet nectar of the gods! I could just live right in this pan! This summer we gathered mulberries before the birds overtook the bushes and we found apples on sale a couple weeks ago. Both ingredients finally had found a match made in heaven in this concoction.  No worries on it being a difficult recipe. It's really a throw together easy peasy! Try it!

Apple Berry Crisp

NOTE: I wasn't very specific with any of the ingredients in measurements, I just guessed. Especially the apples. I spent the evening baking apple cake, pineapple apple cake and I still had leftover apples, hence the reason for this invention. I wanna say I had about 5 apples to work with? 

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg 
Pinch of salt
6-8 Tbsp butter (NOT softened)

Stir until most of the butter can't be seen in chunks.

Filling:
4-6 apples, peeled, chopped
1 cup berries (I used mulberries)
2? Tbsp lemon juice
3-5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix up (my mulberries turned my apples hot pink, which is why the picture looks like a cherry cobbler!) and pour into a pie pan. Pour the topping over all the filling. I had a few Tablespoons of butter left on a stick so I cut in pats and added it to the top.

Bake at 350 for 25-35 mins. Let set for a bit so you don't burn the roof of your mouth off.

NOTE #2: I will tell you, with the amount of liquids in with the fruits, it didn't let the topping really resemble a 'crisp'. It's more like a crumble or cobbler. Any way you slice it, it's heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!