Sunday, October 11, 2009

New England Clam Chowder - Low Carb

Fall is upon us. This means soup! With doing low carb (as I'm doing right now) soups usually consist of broths with a few veggies. I'm tired of those. So I went in search of a low carb clam chowder soup. I had to cobble together a recipe that worked for my palette as well as my waist line. I hope you enjoy it!

Low Carb Clam Chowder

3 small to medium turnips, peeled and diced
5-7 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
2 cans 6 oz clams (juice included)
2 cups water
2 celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (could substitute up to 1/2 cup of water)
1/2 cup clam juice (optional, as you get juice from the cans)

Instructions:
1 - I popped the bacon in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
2 - While the bacon is cooking, boil the turnips in water.
3 - Throw all the ingredients in a pot, except the heavy cream, and slow simmer for about 15-20 mins.
4 - Add cream, cook an additional 5 minutes.
5 - Serve and enjoy!

6-8 servings

Picture borrowed from: Family Food blog


New England Clam Chowder on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohhh, you were hungry and found my blog, didn't you?! I hope you find fun recipes here to try. If you do, tell me about it! I always love comments, thanks so much for visiting!